I’ve been always cheating on parmigiana recipe. Vegan or original recipe, I do not want to spend hours frying or roasting eggplants. Of course, it tastes slightly different, lighter I would say. But in 30 minutes it is ready to go and healthier. The tricks are very easy: cut very thin your eggplants and make a maximum of three layer, better only two. I’ve never find the need of put eggplants under salt and press, have you?
Note: You’ll need a sheet of baking-paper
Time: 30 minutes cooking + 10 minutes preparation
Ingredients: [6 portions]
- 2 eggplant
- 500 m (1 pack) of tomatoes passata
- vegan soy-based prosciutto/mortadella ( what you find on offer :) )
- vegan cheese (optional, if costs too much, screw it!)
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- fine breadcrumbs (as required)
1. Wash and cut eggplants very thin, almost 5 mm thick.
2. In a lasagna tray, or any backing tray you have on hand, lay a sheet of baking paper. Put the first layer of eggplants: avoid to overlay them on each other and salt them.
3. Cover the eggplants with the tomatoes passata. Use a spoon to spread it even.
4. Add pepper and oregano. Put a layer of vegan prosciutto and cheese, if you have it.
5. Repeat the layer: 1. eggplants 2. salt 3.tomatoes passata 4.oregano and pepper
6. For the last layer: spread some fine breadcrumbs all over and some olive oil. In this way you’ll have some kind of soft-crust on it. Cook for 30 minutes at 200° both up and down heat.
Wait a little bit before serving, when parmigiana is too hot it is easy to fall apart and become a mess (prooved by personal experience >.< ). Buon appetito!