My grandma used to have a huge pot, perfect to cook a lot of artichokes, I don’t own one, so I can unfortunately only make 4 at time! In Sicily we usually have artichokes around Easter time, we grill them in our bbq parties or we stuff them. Still, another option is to simply boil them, and make some “intingolo”: a mix of olive oil, garlic, oregano, balsamic vinegar, and take each single leaf, sink them in your mixture, and eat it.
Time: 30 minuts cooking + 30 min preparation
- 4 artichokes
- olive oil
- anchovies paste (if you want to make it vegan, skip it)
- fine bread crumbs (~150 gr.)
- fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- pepper, salt
- 3 lemons
1. First we need to clean our artichokes:
a) Remove the external leaves, I usually take two layers off. Doing so you are going to eat only the soft leaves, which are easier to digest.
b) Cut the bottom part off, in order to let our artichoke able to sit on his butt and stay vertically in our pot later.
c) Rub half a lemon all around, so the leaves won’t start oxidation process and won’t change their color.
d) There are different kind of artichokes, but most of them have pointy spike ends: use some scissors to remove the external ones. If you’re lucky you can find the variety without them, but this passage doesn’t really take long!
e) with your thumbs try to open the leaves gently.
f) put them inside a bowl with water,parsley and 3-4 half lemons.
2. For the stuffing part we need to warm a generous amount of olive oil in a pan. Add two tablespoons anchovies paste and press a clove of garlic; with the help of a wood tablespoon, mix them together.
3. Add the fine bread crumbs and pepper. Let them get some color – around 5 minutes. Turn off, add a generous amount of chopped fresh parsley and half glass of water. The crumb mixture should have a moister texture.
4. Go back to your artichokes, gently squeeze them and place them on a plate with head facing down, so the remaining water will fall down. One by one, with a teaspoon, put your stuffing bread between the leaves. Don’t panic, it has to be messy and not perfect!
5. Get a large pot, place the artichokes on their bottom. The pot needs to be the right size to help them stay steady vertically, but not too squeezed. Add carefully one glass water + 3 teaspoons olive oil to the bottom of your pot, pay attention do not to get your artichoke-heads wet.
6. Cook for 30 minutes, always with the lid on, at slow-medium heat.
Buon appetito to everyone!!!