In Italy we call this recipe ‘Russian salad’, but now that I live in Germany I found out that here it is called just ‘potatoes salad’. However, the taste is quite different. We use to make this dish as starter during holidays, for example for Christmas or New Years Eve, because it is easy to bring to someone’s else home and because it is usually presented scenic decorated with tons of pickles and more mayo on the top. I saw many time this salad adorned as porcupine, with carrots stick as spines.
This is my version of this recipe: the common recipe among Italians include also tuna and more mayonnaise. I like to put also a lot of fresh basil and one green apple inside, to give a more “summer” touch and freshness to the dish. Just adapt the recipe to your own taste :))
Little advice: this recipe is good and convenient to be prepared one day before being served.
Time: prep 1 hour + at least 2 hours resting
Ingredients: for 15 portions
- 1 ½ boiled potatoes
- 1 fresh cucumber
- 1 green apple
- 250 gr frozen peas
- 250 gr ( 1 jar) pickled carrots
- 250 gr ( 1 jar) pickled celery
- fresh basil
- pepper, salt
- 1 tube light mayonnaise
1. Let’s start peeling and washing the potatoes. Bring them to boil til they’re fully cooked. Boil also your frozen peas. You can always use a can of peas, but I find the taste not the same.
2. In the meanwhile, wash your pickles to get rid of extra vinegar in it. Peel, wash and cut in tiny cubes the fresh cucumber and the green apple. Mix everything together in a big bowl with mayonnaise and little pepper.
3. When your potatoes and peas cooled down for a while, add also them together with a lots of fresh basil leaves. Be carefully while stiring not to smash too much your potatoes.
Keep in fridge for at least two hours. It always better to take it out at least one hour before your guests come in.