Potatoes, peppers and onion are cooked in a wok, with a sweet and sour sauce, made of balsamic vinegar. This recipe recalls Summer time, when peppers are in seasons and are sold for super cheap prices in Sicily. The tradition wants it served cool,but I prefer it lukewarm. Another family recipe: love my daddy.
Time: 45 minutes
- 750 gr potatoes
- 4-5 red peppers
- 2 onions
- 45 ml balsamic vinegar
- 4 teaspoon white sugar
- mint, salt, oregano and fresh basil
- 3 tbs olive oil
1. The boring part: peel and wash potatoes, onions and peppers. In the meanwhile, pre-heat a wok with 3 tbs olive oil.
2. When the oil is hot, add onions and let them cook for a couple of minutes.
3.Next, add potatoes only. Smaller they are cut, quicker they will cook.
4. When the potatoes are a bit softer, add peppers and a generous amount of salt. Cook for other 15 minutes.
5. In a glass mix 45 ml balsamic vinegar and 4 teaspoon of white sugar, stir until it dissolves.When the vegetables are almost cooked, add the liquid, wait until it will bed reduced and become creamy.
6. Finish the recipe with herbs: mint (not too much, otherwise it will taste like a toothpaste, true story here)and oregano. Fresh basil, only when the heat is turned off.